One month ago I was talking to a friend about my interest in photography and how I love working with a very talented photographer. My friend patiently waited till I was done speaking and then politely warmed me that the life of a photographer is a constant struggle, or at least doesn’t pay well. He continued to tell me that I should be cautious if I was thinking about pursuing a career in photography.
This is a common issue I hear from myriad people, in which it got me thinking, do people really think that pursuing a career in photography is a dead-end?
I asked my friend why he thinks this and he mentioned that he knows a friend-of-a-friend whom is pursuing a career in photography but is struggling to make ends meet. He heard from this person that other photographers are experiencing similar short-falls in this business and are juggling part-time jobs to support themselves.
I can see how someone can struggle at first when they are trying to break into the photography business. Over the last few decades there has been a surge of interest in photography as a profession, making this field a more competitive business. However, that does not provide an excuse to why people are not finding work. Maybe these people are not marketing their skills and talents right? Or possibly they are not in the right location to market their business? Even more, maybe they just are not motivated and passionate enough to succeed in this business?
Perhaps it is where I am sitting, but I have not seen many photographers struggle. The photographers I know are quite happy and successful in what they are doing. These photographers have either started their own business, free-lance, or work for a newspapers. With that said, I know that it took a lot of hard work and long hours to establish themselves. However, it is paying off now because they have lots of clients, events, and connections. These people work really hard and it shows in their amazing images and client testimonies! More importantly, they are having fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment